It’s not just all about our brilliant tools – today, we’re really excited to announce some big news about our PowerVR developer documentation! Anyone who has needed to access our documentation in the past will probably have noticed that it is only available as a PDF download. Now, PDF is a great format, and it’s ideal for when you want some off-line or long-form reading. But most of the time, you’ll just want to get a quick answer, and I’m sure I’m not the only one whose heart sinks when I see [PDF] in the search results when I just wanted a snippet of code to copy and paste.
Well, now the PowerVR Developer Documentation team has got you covered! We’ve taken our incredibly useful, and very extensive documentation set and turned it into something much more modern and accessible in the form of a new website.
What will you find at docs.imgtec.com?
Our new website is very easy to navigate, with a plethora of ways to make your own way through:
- Find the right document faster from the home page with all documents are grouped into their relevant sections.
- Get quickly to the most relevant page, by using the table of contents in the sidebar, or the breadcrumbs at the top.
- Want to know more about something as you’re reading? There’s cross-referencing throughout, including to other documents.
- Finished a topic? Skip ahead to related topics or continue to browse the document in order.
If you aren’t sure where to find the information you need, the powerful search bar at the top of every page will show you the most relevant topics. Choose one, and your search term will be highlighted in the content.
Once you’ve found what you want, the good stuff doesn’t end there!
- Need a code snippet? Our syntax-highlighted code can be copied in one click with a button in every code block.
- Not sure if a topic is relevant before you click on it? Simply hover over the link to reveal a tooltip which will tell you a bit more.
- Need our documentation on-the-go? Our responsive design makes browsing on mobile simple and easy!
A Complete Refresh
This is so much more than a simple copy and paste job from old to new. We’ve taken the time to make our documentation properly shine.
- We’ve done a complete restructure into a modern modular format (DITA, for the documentation geeks among you!)
- We’ve edited every single line of every single document, to improve general readability and understanding.
- Our engineers have gone through everything, to make sure it’s all completely up-to-date, and have also included updates where needed.
Just Getting Started?
We’ve created a whole new “Getting Started” section, for those new to PowerVR, or even graphics programming in general. Not only do we introduce you to what PowerVR is, and what makes our architecture so special, but we’ve created new documentation too.
Our “Getting Started with Vulkan/OpenGL ES” guides take you through the very first steps involved in getting that first triangle on the screen. Both of these guides are based upon the “HelloAPI” examples in our SDK, so you can build the code we’re talking about. Every stage is explained in detail, making it the perfect way to get going and understand these important graphics APIs.
So What’s Next?
We’ve converted our most important documents, including our very popular and comprehensive performance recommendations, but there are still plenty to follow in due course. These are still available in PDF format on the new site. In time, you will also start to see on our site user manuals for our developer tools and even more help for those getting started. Shortly you will also be able to download our new documentation in PDF format too if you fancy a bit of old-school reading.
Please do feel free to link to our site or even any of our pages – you can even link to individual sections with the handy link icon next to each section heading. And besides, the more inbound links we have, the better we’ll show up on search engines, making it even quicker to find the answers you need on our new site.