Imagination Technologies, a leading multimedia and communications technologies company, is demonstrating the latest multimedia, broadcast/connectivity and processor technologies at CES 2011 in Las Vegas from January 6-9th.
At CES Imagination will be showing: the end-user devices, powered by Imagination’s IP, that are redefining the mobile, embedded and consumer markets; the silicon devices that will deliver further capability and performance leaps for the next generation of products; and the IP technologies that will be enabling product innovation for the new decade by leading semiconductor companies and OEMs.
Says Tony King-Smith, VP marketing, Imagination: “Imagination is unique in being able to provide an insight into the market at all stages of new technology delivery, from today’s most iconic products to the technologies that will enable tomorrow’s.”
The capabilities of key current products enabled by Imagination’s technologies will be on display, including iconic current products such as the latest tablets, smartphones, set-top-boxes, and TVs and the latest in navigation and mobile computing products and apps.
Imagination will also demonstrate key new semiconductor devices from partners including Intel, Texas Instruments, Renesas, Samsung, Trident, Sigma, Toumaz, and others. This will include the latest POWERVR SGX MP enabled SoC which delivers mobile and embedded graphics performance over 5x that of the best current generation devices.
Imagination will be detailing the latest IPs on its roadmap and demonstrating tomorrow’s technologies for multimedia, processing and connectivity, including:
• The latest members of POWERVR Series5XT including SGX543, SGX544 and the recently announced SGX554 which are all high performance graphics cores for embedded and mobile applications with full multi-processor capability offering the strongest family for embedded applications at all design points
• The first Series5XT multiprocessor SoCs demonstrated in silicon
• OpenCL demonstrations of the latest POWERVR graphics software drivers, offering support for advanced OpenCL based GP-GPU functionality across all SGX cores
• New generation POWERVR Series6 (‘Rogue’) graphics technologies, which are already in design with several tier one lead partners, are being presented to a wider customer base
• POWERVR VXD392, a low power, high performance, multi-standard and multi-stream ultra high definition hardware video decoder IP core that enables the widest supported standards of any video IP core, and now includes support for WebM (VP8) as well as key new technologies including Stereo 3D and H.264 MVC. VXD392 also enables up to 4k x 4k resolutions for UltraHD and full resolution top and bottom or side by side display configurations for stereoscopic applications
• POWERVR VXE383, a multi-standard SD and HD video encoder which delivers a comprehensive portfolio of standards and tuning options, including multi-stream input and support for H.264 MVC standard profile (as used by Blu-ray 3D), which makes VXE383 ideal for stereoscopic interactive 3D applications as well as high performance video-based communications. VXE383 also includes an extensive H.264 toolset which demonstrates Imagination’s position as the highest quality encoder IP core in the market
• ENSIGMA UCCP320, delivering multi-standard demodulation support for the 802.11a/b/g family of Wi-Fi standards, class-leading support for digital TV (ATSC (8VSB), Nordig Unified 2.0 DVB-T, DVB-T2, DVB-S2/S, DVB-C, 13-seg ISDB-T, ISDB-C, International ISDB-T, CTTB and J.83B), mobile TV (DVB-H, T-DMB, 1-seg ISDB-T) and digital radio reception (ISDB-Tmm, ISDB-Tsb, DAB, DAB+, DMB-R and FM with RDS)
• META multi-threaded processor cores for modern embedded real-time systems with full Linux and Google Android OS (Operating System) support enabling enhanced embedded devices such as connected radios, smart photo-frames, information terminals, thin client devices, internet edge appliances, tablets and set-top-boxes. META technology combines with Imagination’s connectivity IP to offer an ideal platform for connected applications.
• POWERVR FRC display cores for 120Hz and 240Hz displays, stereoscopic 3D (S3D) frame rate conversion; and other S3D video, graphics and display technologies
Concludes King-Smith: “The market for highly integrated graphics, video and connectivity is becoming a multi-billion unit opportunity as multimedia and communications become ubiquitous in modern CE devices. These are the technologies that will enable our partners to drive new generations of SoC devices and consumer products. At CES 2011 Imagination will be providing a wide ranging insight into the way today’s best consumer products will be able to evolve based on upcoming IP technologies.”
Imagination at CES will also for the first time show key technologies from its newly acquired family members HelloSoft and Caustic, including advanced video-VOIP and ray tracing technologies. These technologies are important additions that will enable Imagination to ride and drive new market trends.
The company’s PURE division will also be at CES showing the latest in connected digital radio for North America and worldwide markets, including Contour, a stereo internet-connected digital radio and media streamer with retractable iPod/iPhone dock, which stands out as much for its looks as it does for its powerful audio delivery, as well as PURE’s full range of connected cloud based music and media portal services.