MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS, Barcelona, Spain – 2nd March, 2015 – Imagination Technologies (IMG.L) announces that its MIPS CPU IP cores continue to gain traction in LTE devices through the latest designs from 4G chipmaker Sequans Communications. MIPS CPUs are at the heart of Sequans’ new Colibri and Calliope platforms for the LTE-enabled Internet of Things (IoT). In addition, Sequans’ chipsets and modules with MIPS inside are finding their way into an increasing number of end products.
Recent Sequans wins include the following new products, all certified for the Verizon Wireless network:
· Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack MHS800L, an ultra-compact mobile hotspot that allows users to connect up to eight Wi-Fi devices to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network
· BestBuy Insignia Flex LTE 8” Android tablet, the first 4G LTE tablet in Best Buy’s Insignia product line
· MSI (Micro-Star International) S100 Note LTE (model ND12), a 2-in-1 LTE tablet and keyboard
· D-Link eMBMS TV Dongle, a consumer LTE broadcast dongle that enables users to receive high definition video content over LTE eMBMS, for display on their TV screens
Says Craig Miller, VP worldwide marketing, Sequans: “We use MIPS in many of our LTE chipset platforms. With significant differentiators like hardware multi-threading, MIPS enables Sequans to provide a range of LTE solutions, from the world’s first Cat 1 Calliope platform for IoT, to our highest performing Cassiopeia Cat 6 LTE-Advanced platform. As LTE finds its way into a huge range of new types of devices, companies are looking to Sequans’ pre-integrated, pre-tested, and pre-certified MIPS-based LTE platforms and modules to significantly reduce development risk and time.”
Says Tony King-Smith, EVP marketing, Imagination: “We’re proud of our long-standing collaboration with Sequans in LTE. Using unique MIPS features such as hardware multi-threading has helped Sequans create innovative platforms that are gaining traction in the market, illustrating the competitive advantages of the MIPS architecture. With its new Calliope and Colibri IoT platforms, as well as its other chipsets and modules, Sequans is driving our high-performance, power-efficient MIPS CPUs into an exciting new generation of LTE solutions.”
Sequans uses a range of MIPS CPUs across its existing product line. Sequans’ StreamliteLTE and StreamrichLTE chipset solutions all use MIPS CPUs running Sequans’ carrier-proven LTE protocol stack:
· Calliope Platform: this newest member of Sequans’ StreamliteLTE family of chipset solutions is optimized for low cost and low power, and is designed for LTE Category 1 (10 Mbps downlink) devices such as wearables and other IoT and M2M products.
· Colibri Platform: also a member of Sequans’ StreamliteLTE family, this platform is designed for Category 4 (150 Mbps downlink) M2M and IoT devices such as modules, routers and tablets, and is already being designed into modules such as a newly announced all-in-one, single-mode LTE chip solution from Universal Scientific Industrial (Shanghai) Co., Ltd., (USI).
· Cassiopeia Platform: this LTE-Advanced platform, which supports Category 6 throughput and flexible dual carrier aggregation, is a member of Sequans’ StreamrichLTE product family designed for feature-rich, high-performance LTE mobile devices such as tablets and mobile routers, and for PCs and residential gateways through add-on datacards.
In addition, Sequans leverages MIPS CPUs in its EZLinkLTE family of all-in-one LTE connectivity modules, which are designed to significantly reduce development cost and time by giving device makers plug-and-play LTE connectivity solutions. This includes the VZ20Q for consumer electronics and M2M devices, the VZ20M for notebooks, laptops, tablets and other portable computers, and the VZ21M for designs with GPS capability – all of which are certified by Verizon.
About Sequans Communications
Sequans Communications S.A. (NYSE: SQNS) is a 4G chipmaker and leading provider of single-mode LTE chipset solutions to wireless device manufacturers worldwide. Founded in 2003, Sequans has developed and delivered six generations of 4G technology and its chips are certified and shipping in 4G networks, both LTE and WiMAX, around the world. Today, Sequans offers two LTE product lines: StreamrichLTE™, optimized for feature-rich mobile computing and home/portable router devices, and StreamliteLTE™, optimized for M2M devices and other connected devices for the Internet of Things. Sequans is based in Paris, France with additional offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Israel, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea, and China. Visit Sequans online at www.sequans.com; www.facebook.com/sequans; www.twitter.com/sequans
About Imagination Technologies
Imagination is a global technology leader whose products touch the lives of billions of people across the globe. The company’s broad range of silicon IP (intellectual property) includes the key processing blocks needed to create the SoCs (Systems on Chips) that power all mobile, consumer and embedded electronics. Its unique software IP, infrastructure technologies and system solutions enable its customers get to market quickly with complete and highly differentiated SoC platforms. Imagination’s licensees include many of the world’s leading semiconductor manufacturers, network operators and OEMs/ODMs who are creating some of the world’s most iconic products. See: www.imgtec.com.
Imagination Technologies and the Imagination Technologies logo are trademarks of Imagination Technologies Limited and/or its affiliated group companies in the United Kingdom and/or other countries. All other logos, products, trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Imagination Technologies’ Press Contacts:
UK: David Harold firstname.lastname@example.org +44 (0)1923 260 511
USA: Jen Bernier-Santarini email@example.com +1 408-530-5178